In previous blog posts, we’ve discussed some of the numerous health benefits of pecans. What we haven’t talked about yet is how healthy pecan oil is. Along with making your food taste great, pecan oil also can also improve your health in a number of ways. Here are a few benefits of pecan oil you should be aware of.
A mere 7 to 9.5% of all fatty acids in pecan oil are saturated, as compared to 13.5% for olive oil and 17% for peanut oil. It also consists of a blend of approximately 52% monounsaturated fat and 38.5% polyunsaturated fat. This is an ideal combination for reducing “bad” cholesterol levels in the body and decreasing your overall risk of heart disease.
Reduces Dependency on Salt and Butter
Pecan oil has a slightly buttery taste that enhances the flavor of your food. It also picks up any seasonings you use so that less salt is needed. As such, you will likely find you do not need as much butter or salt to make your dishes taste great.
Contains no Chemicals
Many oils are extracted with the use of chemical solvents that are later removed during the refining process. Even so, some chemical residue may remain, as it is nearly impossible to remove all of it. That’s not the case with our pecan oil, as no chemicals whatsoever are used to extract it from the nuts. Instead, we use an expeller extraction method, which involves using high pressure to squeeze pecans. This is followed by winterization or dewaxing to remove the natural waxes and increase its shelf life.
Great for your Hair
An amino acid known as L-arginine is known to encourage the growth of healthy hair, and may even be effective at treating male pattern baldness. Pecan oil contains high amounts of L-arginine and can therefore be used to treat thinning hair or baldness. Use it as a regular conditioning treatment by massaging it into the scalp and leaving it for a few hours (or in extreme cases, overnight).
Pecan oil contains a number of antioxidants such as ellagic acid, which work to eliminate free radicals and give you a more glowing complexion. Its high levels of Vitamins A and E work to prevent premature aging and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. You can slather pecan oil directly onto your skin or mix a few drops with your favorite cream or lotion.
Miscellaneous Health Benefits
These are a few of the other health benefits of pecan oil:
- High in fiber, which enhances digestion
- Assists with regular bowel movements to remove toxins from the body
- Rich in phosphorous, which strengthens the teeth and bones
- Prevents conditions such as anemia by being high in iron
- High in zinc and manganese, two nutrients that strengthen the immune system and protect cells from free radical damage
- Improves circulation by making artery walls more flexible and preventing blood clots
How to Use Pecan Oil
Pecan oil has a number of uses such as:
- Deep frying. Pecan oil has a very high smoke point of 470 degrees, which is higher than that of soybean or peanut oil, making it perfect for use in a deep frying machine.
- Sautéing vegetables
- Helping meats stay moist when grilling or roasting
- Creating salad dressings or homemade mayonnaise
- In baking, particularly when making cakes and muffins
- As a butter substitute in nearly any recipe
Using pecan oil is a great way to look and feel your best. Here at South Georgia Pecan Company, we have lots of healthy pecan oil in stock, and invite you to contact us to find out more about its benefits.